Kickstart New Year 2023 with these cool selfies!
These engaging New Year coloring pages, art, and writing activities are perfect for reviewing 2022, setting new goals, and making resolutions for 2023.
Students can choose their favorite spectacles, create a unique self-portrait, and then complete the review and resolution activities that encourage a balance of art and writing.
I will update this activity every year, so you can download free updates if you would like to continue to use the activity beyond 2023.
What’s included in this New Year activity?
- Choose from 4 spectacle shapes to create a self-portrait
- Face templates with masks are included
- Select according to age and ability from a variety of options
2. Writing tasks and prompts
- Reflecting on 2022 and goal setting for 2023
- A variety of writing prompt templates include spectacles and balloons
3. Explore letting go of 2022
- Write about your stand-out memories of 2022
- What did you learn?
- How did you feel?
- What will you be glad to leave behind?
- What will you miss?
4. Explore hopes and dreams for 2023
- Explore your hopes and dreams for 2023
- What are your goals?
- How do you feel about this coming year?
- What will you do differently than in 2022?
- What might you bring with you from 2022?
5. Colored finished examples
- Print these finished artworks to generate ideas and discussion and decorate your walls!
6. Digitally created collage-style posters
- Display and use these as inspiration – some students may enjoy cutting shapes from magazines to collage a self-portrait
7. Garlands and decor
- Create a colorful and welcoming classroom with this modern confetti theme garland
8. Doodle pages
- Additional coloring pages are included for early finishers
What materials are needed?
- Print onto good quality heavyweight paper/ card stock for the best results
- Oil pastels, marker pens, watercolor paints, colored pencils
- Collage materials are optional – magazines and glue sticks
- Scissors and string for the garlands
You might like to view my popular Back To School / All About Me resources here:
View further New Year activities here:
Follow my store on TPT to receive notification of new products, where I will be offering a 50% discount for the first 48 hours after they are posted.
How can I use this resource with my students?
- End December 2022 in a positive, forward-thinking way
- Use as an engaging first-week-back activity for January 2023
- Encourage students to reflect, plan and set goals
- Explore hopes and dreams for the future
- Acknowledge challenges and find solutions
- Generate lively group discussion
- Create an impressive display for a positive environment
- Build creative confidence
- This makes a handy, print-and-go sub plan
- Add to a New Year unit
Happy teacher feedback
Erin M says, “This was such a fun and engaging resource for my 7th grade students, it was a great activity to get them into the swing of things after the holiday.”
Natalie M says, “This was a really great twist to the usual New Year’s Resolutions. My students are enjoying creating their “selfie”. I am loving how different and creative each student has created their character. Thank you for this product.”
Natasha J says, “This was well done! I needed something as an icebreaker for my 8th grade Honors ELA, and this was an easy decision to make. I am so glad I did. All I had to do was print, copy, and discuss. My students were able to express themselves and they loved it. All students were engaged. This had something for all students regardless of their artistic ability. Thank you!”
I do hope you have fun with this resource!
You may like to view these creative seasonal resources:
Like my work? Please stay in touch!
Don’t forget to leave feedback on resources – you will earn points towards your next TPT purchases 🙂
Please contact me if you have any questions regarding this resource, I am always keen to help,
Copyright ©The ImaginationBox/Diane Pagan 2022.
All rights reserved by the author.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only